Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I am diabetic, 77years old and my diabetes is well controlled.

Customer Question

I am diabetic, 77years old and my diabetes is well controlled. For the last 36 hours I have been 'running to the toilet' needing to poo. I have for the last 2/3 years struggled with a regular bowel movement, generally managing to go every 3/4 days. I also find it very uncomfortable when it reaches the lower opening. I do have the odd pile in that area and sometimes it bleeds. I also have a small fissure in the same area. My doctor is aware of this and has prescribed Uniroid-HC Suppositories which I use every few days as the instructions advise 'do not use for more than 7 days'. Alongside this I have been given Magnesium Hydroxide Oral Suspension. Normally I would say I have a lazy bowel. I have been introduced to a natural 'laxative' by a friend, Normacol, which I have found does seem to ease the passing of faeces , but it still makes me hold my breath. I also have been diagnosed with diverticulitis. There are no signs of blood.
I am eating very bland food at the moment and only just enough to take care of my blood sugars. Please can you advise.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Can you please let me know exactly what your question is that you would like me to answer?
Is it the diarrhea that is bothering you at the moment that you need help with?
Please let me know.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I am looking forward to your response so that I can help you out with your concerns.