Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

In my back around the left shoulder blade when I cough I can

in my back around the left shoulder blade when I cough I can feel soreness for a moment no pain duration 1/2 weeks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Pain around the shoulder blade that only occurs with coughing is usually not a serious problem. It frequently is due to minor musculoskeletal conditions, either inflammation or a muscle strain in the underlying rib cage or the muscles between the ribs or attached to the shoulder blade. It is also fairly common to have muscle aches associated with a viral infection, and since a viral infection can also cause cough, the muscle aches may be more noticeable in the muscles around the chest that are involved in coughing.

Some people can also have pain related to cough due to an underlying lung problem, such as pneumonia, but there would usually be other associated symptoms, such as shortness of breath or fever.

It is reasonable to try some home interventions for musculoskeletal problems, including an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, and local care, such as ice and moist heat.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.