Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I feel tired as early as 12 noon every day, so I had a blood

Hi I feel tired as early as 12 noon every day, so I had a blood test done. The doctor said that the tests came back all clear, and my reply to him was why am I so tired all the time then. He said that maybe it was just a faze I was going through. This to me is not a good enough answer. I have herd that I may have a problem with my Adrenal glands. What should I do about this. Can my doctor use my blood tests to find out more about this? I have always been very active in my life. Someone suggested that maybe because I have been studding a lot lately this could have affected my health.
Can you please help me sort this out.
Ron
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The usual screening test for adrenal disease is a blood cortisol level. Standard screening blood tests do not typically include a cortisol level. It is a test that the doctor would have to specifically request. Screening blood test may have abnormal levels of electrolytes, particularly low levels of sodium or high levels of potassium, but these are not sufficiently consistent to say that normal levels excludes the diagnosis of adrenal disease.

If there is suspicion of adrenal insufficiency, a better test would be an ACTH stimulation test, which measures cortisol levels before and after an ACTH dose.

Excessive drowsiness also may be related to any condition that interferes with sleep duration or quality. If you are sleeping for an adequate number of hours, it would typically require a sleep study to assess sleep quality.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I sleep from 11pm to 6am, but I do wake up a few times to take a wee during the night as I drink a lot of water.

The duration is adequate, but only a sleep study can assess the quality of sleep.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I ask my doctor for a ACTH stimulation test then?

A screening cortisol level is usually the first test to do for adrenal disease. A stimulation test can be discussed after the cortisol level result is available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok so I should ask for the screening cortisol level test first and then take it from there? Is there anything else I can do or take to help me with this issue?

Yes, the screening cortisol level would be first.

To determine what to take requires identification of the cause. Certainly, general good health habits are important, such as a healthy diet and getting regular exercise, but more specific interventions requires the identification of the cause.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Love I will make an appointment with my Dr asap.

You are welcome.