Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a healthy 31 year old with no medical history.

I am a healthy 31 year old with no medical history. I am regularly and thoroughly check my testicles when in the shower and i have had regular check ups and utlrasounds as I am a little bit of a worrier and everything has been fine. This morning I was checking and noticed a very very tiny almost not possible to feel grain like dot on the left side. It seems to be firm in texture and very defined almost like a pimple. I just wanted some thoughts on this does this sound like it could be something serious?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Is this area in the skin of the scrotum?
Or is it deeper?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its on the inside. Its difficult to tell if it is deeper or not mainly because, it is so small, it is not on the skin on the outside. As I cant seen anyting on the skin of the scrotum. When I move the testicle around its difficult to feel it again its only easier to feel when i move the testicle into a certain point. Just to add i know its common for testicular cancer lumps to be the size of a pea roughly but in this case this feels more slighylt bigger than a grain of sand. Does this sound serious?

It is possible that it could be in a lower layer of the skin and nothing be visible when looking at the skin. But something in the lower layers of skin would still move with the skin, rather than the deep structures.

A spot that is only slightly larger than a grain of sand is most likely to be not a serious condition. It could be a small collection of fibrous tissue, called a fibroma. There also could be some scarring related to previous trauma or infection.

As long as it remains this small, there is no need for further evaluation and it would be fine for you to continue to monitor this by self-examination. The only concern would be if the spot is getting progressively larger over time.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know. If I have answered your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for answering and confirming doctor. Just another follow up question, from how I describe this does it sound like it could be a cancerous thing?
Also when I hold the testicle in a certain position it is easier to feel it. When I move it around I can still feel it but not as well. Does this sound like it is on the testicle itself?

Any lump that is felt “could” be cancer, but we are only concerned about cancer for those lumps that are persistent and getting progressively larger. Obviously, any tumor must have been the size of a grain of sand at some point, but realistically, exceedingly few lumps that are a grain of sand are ultimately found to be cancer.

The fact that it can be better felt when changing the position of the testicle does not mean that it is on the testicle itself. There are many structures near the testicle that would be easier to feel if the testicle is moved.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay thank you for your confirmation. From what I describe here, what does this sound like to you?

It is most likely fibrous tissue, either a fibroma or scarring from previous trauma or infection.

Please remember to provide a positive rating, so that I am credited for assisting you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But i didnt have any trauma to the area recently nor any infections. I have just taken another look and it is very very small and i can only feel it when moving the testicle a certain way. I didnt notice it before and I check regularly. Are there any factors that increase testicular cancer risk?

There is no reason for you to be concerned about testicular cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It seems to be very very small infact in some instances its difficult to find it. I am really not sure if its been there all along or if its new. Is there anything i should do at this stage?

I already addressed that above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Apologies i did not respond to this earlier. Just a further question before rating the service, if the spot is on the actual testicle itself does this indicate testicular cancer? I have read that normally if its on the actual testicle it could be cancer, do any of the things i have described above seem to be consistent with testicular cancer?

I answered that above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am aware that you have answered the points above. but what would be an indication in which case one would think that it is testicular cancer?

I also answered that above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have looked through but dont see this. What would be an indication in this case that I have described?

It is in the first couple answers above.