Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

I usually take Marvelon as my birth control pill but I

Hi. I usually take Marvelon as my birth control pill but I took three weeks off it. I thought I had had unprotected sex so I took levonelle and restarted marvelon at the beginning of the week I would have had as the week off the pill had I been taking it. (I was very drunk and when I actually spoke to the boy I had been with he said we didn't actually have sex). However, stupidly I had unprotected sex again about 10 or 11 hours after taking the 7th pill of marvelon in the pack. I was just wondering what the chances of pregnancy are? I'm confused as to whether it is 7 days or 7 pills that you are protected from? Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing medical information for you today.

7 days of taking after 3 weeks off may not give you adequate pregnancy protection. It would be best to take another dose of a morning after pill if it's been less than 72 hours. If longer than that, there is another morning after pill that can be used for up to 120 hours after but I'm not sure if it's available in the U.K. It's called Ella in the USA.

Once you've been back on the Marvelon for 21 days straight, it's safe to take 7 days off and still be protected. There needs to be 21 days of active pills before 7 days off to maintain protection.

I hope this was helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the quick response! Ella is available in the UK, is it okay to take both Levonelle and Ella in the same month?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is. The Ella is non-hormonal so there is no increased risk or interference.

Anything else I can help with today?