Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I've noticed I have a small lump under my chin near my throat.

I've noticed I have a small lump under my chin near my throat. I have had the lump for a few days I think. What is it? Is it cancer?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The most common cause of a lump under the chin near the throat is a swollen lymph node. These lymph node will most often enlarge because of a germ entering the body, usually because of infection, but any entry of germs can cause enlargement of lymph nodes. If there are no other symptoms or apparent source of a germ, then it is usually due to a viral infection.

It is also possible that swelling under the chin could be due to swelling in a salivary gland, which can occur because of infection in the salivary gland or other conditions that block drainage of the salivary gland, such as stones in the duct of the salivary gland.

There is no reason to be concerned about cancer because of this lump. It is true that cancer can present as swelling in a lymph node, but swollen lymph node from reaction to a germ is so common, we are only concerned about cancer if a swollen lymph node persists for a few months.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not entirely sure how long I have had the lump, I might have had it for a few weeks. If the lump persists for a few more weeks, should I be worried?

If it persists for a few weeks, it would be a reason for wondering whether there is an infection that requires attention, so it would be appropriate to be seen, but we would not be concerned about cancer at that point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this information.

I also have a similar lump on my back. I believe it's been there for at least 6 months, is this something I should be worried about?

I lump on the back is usually not a lymph node. A lump on the back is more often a skin structure, most likely a sebaceous cyst. It also is not something that is a concern, although you should note it to your doctor at your next general check-up to make a firm diagnosis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will get this checked. Does a sebaceous cyst have a rubber type of feel? the lump that I'm explaining feels like rubber

Yes, it can, depending upon the quantity of material inside the cyst.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I would sleep better tonight. I also have a flu, is this in relation with the lump near my throat?

If you know that you have the flu, that would clearly be the most likely cause of the lump near your throat. As I noted above, even without symptoms, a viral infection would be most likely, but if there is a viral infection known to be present, it would be even more likely that the viral infection is causing the swollen lymph node.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When will the lymph node eventually clear?

It varies. Usually within a few days, but sometimes a few weeks or a couple months. The reason that we are not concerned about cancer until it persists for a few months is that it sometimes takes that long for a reactive swollen lymph node to resolve.