Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am a male aged 50 I have always had quite hairy legs Recent

Customer Question

I am a male aged 50
I have always had quite hairy legs
Recent years I have noticed bald areas around my ankles that I suspected to be rubbing of my socks
over the past 12 - 18 months I have has bald areas appear on both calves and thigh areas
approx equal size on each leg and symmetrical in shape on both legs
its not a case of tight clothing rubbing against my skin
is it age related or hormonal
what can be done?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. This is quite uncommon condition. We call it leg alopecia or antro lateral alopecia. First of all I would like to tell you that it is not age related but it is not dangerous as well. Yes it can be hormonal. Imbalance of thyroid hormones has been seen in patients having this condition. Peripheral vascular diseases in which blood supply to leg area can decrease has also been seen in certain cases. Stress has nothing to do with it. Sometime no cause is found. You should ideally see your dermatologist who should examine you in detail and can check you for any hormonal imbalance and for peripheral vascular disease by getting a Doppler ultrasound done. I can't say at this point without knowing your cause that whether you will get them back or not but I reassure you that nothing is serious and you don't need to stress yourself for this. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards