Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Wife's an alcoholic, recently her urine was dark strong coffee

Customer Question

wife's an alcoholic, recently her urine was dark strong coffee coloured, she was sick and her bile was very blackish, her bot***** *****p has swollen scabbed over and looks dark under the skin, she says she has pains in her feet , and often confused , but she goes from stages of not being able to stand , wetting herself , total confusion, unstable , then back to a normal , you can hold a conversation ,she walks goes to the toilet ,, our doctor says she has liver damage,
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
From what you are describing she has, what is called as hepatic encephalopathy i.e. her liver problem is severe which has led to it affecting her brain that is causing all the symptoms.
She definitely need to be seen and be admitted in the hospital for treatment as far as I am concerned, particularly with the severe symptoms that she is having.
I do not think that with the symptoms that you are describing that she could be thinking straight and she MUST be taken to a liver specialist for further evaluation and care.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we have contacted our doctor, and waiting for more blood tests, I`m confused as to why she seems to go down hill ,the suddenly after a period of sleeping she bounces back to a kind of normality, she sleeps a lot more , is this due to her body filtering the alcohol more slowly and the build up is causing the symptoms and eventually those organs will get slower until they start to malfunction,

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
The symptoms that she is experiencing are most likely from gradual liver failure which is affecting her brain, called as hepatic encephalopathy.
Her symptoms like increased sleepiness, confusion, drowsiness, periods of sleep all go in favour of this diagnosis.
I agree with you that alcohol is the main culprit here and she must stop taking all forms of alcohol completely.
I would appreciate it if you rate me before we proceed.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your time, Customer

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome.
I pray and wish that your wife gets well soon.
I would appreciate it if you follow up with me on this.