Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

HiI have had fundoplication on 1st june 2015 but

Hi I have had fundoplication on 1st june 2015 for reflux but 2 days later i was still experiencing throat clearing and breathlessness and its been every time i eat anything can you tell me if this is usual so soon after surgery Regards ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Do you have anything like hoarse voice? Are you better than before regarding your breathlessness or throat clearing? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it seems to be the same if not worse and i am a bit wheezy when lying down

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its not better its probably the same if not slightly worse

No hoarse voice just breathless after eating

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Darren thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. It is not common to have shortness of breath after Nissan fundoplication. Throat clearing is common. You should see your doctor as addition of pro kinetic drug like metaclopromide can help till your fundoplication becomes fully functional. It will reduce the time for which food stays in your stomach and will help you. Along with that you can take OTC syrup gaviscon thrice daily. Lastly sleep with your head elevated. For this you have to put some small packing material under head end of your bed to raise it by 30 degree. Ultimately you are going to be ok but for initial few weeks, you may need further medication support as advised above. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i think the breathing is due to a clogged throat and may seem like reflux

so can you tell me please how long do you think i should wait for healing and with your experience should this resolve

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Yes you are right, breathing issue is due to acid reflux. It will take about 2 weeks provided you are treated for it with medicines. You don't have to live with it. Don't worry. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards