Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I started to feel unwell last wk, with cold like symptoms,

I started to feel unwell last wk, with cold like symptoms, a runny nose, congested, a bit achy, and a bit tight in my chest, I did take any notice of it. Then on Friday last wk my whole body was painful and my skin had become very sensitive, in fact I had to go to bed. That night my stomach became very upset and still is. At times I get very painful spasms in my abdomen. I'm now feeling better but wonder what I'm may have had. I hardly ever get ill!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The most likely cause of this constellation of symptoms is a more diffuse viral infection. The common cold is a viral infection that affects the upper respiratory tract, primarily the nose and sinuses, but also the throat and upper airways.

In some people, though, the virus can cause more diffuse symptoms, potentially affecting the muscles, skin, deeper airways, or GI tract. When this happens, it can cause muscle pains, skin sensitivity, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal cramping.

Certain viruses will cause diffuse infections commonly, such as the influenza virus, but it can also occur with many generic viruses. If you live in the northern hemisphere, the flu season is past, so influenza would be less likely, but there is no point in time in which the risk of influenza is zero.

At this point, since you are feeling better, there is no need for further evaluation or treatment. It is not worrisome that you contracted a viral infection, even if you do not typically contract viral infections.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.