Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a ilea-anal pouch a number of years ago, and one thing

I had a ilea-anal pouch a number of years ago, and one thing I have wondered if whether due to the fact I don't have a colon, if this impacts the absorption of tablets? I just have a feeling that some pills have little or no effect on me, and I am wondering if this has something to do with it. Also, if this is the case, any recommendations on what I can do to improve absorption?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this but no, not having a colon would not impact the absorption of tablets.

That said, it's possible that you don't have enough acid production in your stomach. Some medications like PPI's--Nexium, for example--cause that but if you aren't on a medication like that you should have a gastric pH study. If that's the problem it could be from a vitamin B12 deficiency or a lack of sufficient pancreatic digestive enzymes, and in those cases, B12 injections or oral pancreatic enzymes would treat that

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not on medication like that, my reason for asking is that because I am on Effexor for Depression, and the tables were not effective until I reached a dose of 375mg. I am also on the XR version of the tablets, and I was always curious if XR and absorption was impacted by my lack of colon. Would taking B12 or Digestive enzymes help improve absorption even without knowing my pH?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Even so your lack of colon would not impact the XR absorption--that is all done in the stomach and the small bowel. Yes you could try the B!2 supplements and the digestive enzymes for now to see if that helps