Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I suffer from health anxiety generally due to a fall and spinal

Customer Question

I suffer from health anxiety generally due to a fall and spinal injury 5 years ago and a scare with prostate cancer 3 years but I have had some health conditions for a number of year on and off
I have a feeling in my right side sometimes it is sharp pain but rarely, sometimes an ache and sometimes a spasm it is above my hip and is slightly to front and radiates slightly to back sometimes it grumbles I don't think it is kidney and I had urine analysis month ago nothing came up
Last 6 weeks my eyes have been sore I thinkl this is related to glasses which are 4 years old they are sometimes slightly red last time I went for eye test I was quite high on Glucoma scale but it doesn't seem to be that
My right ankle is swollen and painful as though it is arithtis or gout? I had some naproxen tablets that have n0ow ran out will get some ibuforen. IKt is a random thing I have had for 15 year that I get about 3 times a year
I am due back to urologist next Thursday fro yearly check after PSA test think it is just routine as I had test 5 weeks ago and if there was a problem they would have called me back earlier
Could they all be related to prostate or spinal condition it worries me
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

A spine problem could cause only some of these symptoms. The pain in the side could easily be due to a spine problem pressing on the nerve to that area. Similarly, a spine problem also could cause pain in the foot, but it would not cause swelling in the joint similar to arthritis in the joint. A spinal problem would not cause soreness or redness of the eyes.

Prostate cancer, if limited to the prostate, would not cause any of these symptoms. If prostate cancer has started to spread, it certainly could spread to the spine and could cause symptoms related to pressing on nerve, in the same manner as other spine problems. However, if you have had recent evaluations for prostate cancer, including monitoring of PSA, then it would typically have detected prostate cancer long before it would have started to spread.

It would be most likely that the arthritis in the ankle is a wear and tear type of arthritis, called osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis. The wear and tear also could be affecting the spine and causing the pain in the side. It is possible to get eye symptoms with certain systemic inflammatory conditions, but these are less common than the degenerative forms of arthritis. In addition, the inflammatory changes in the eye would typically be detected in the course of an eye examination, so this would be less likely.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been cleared off prostate cancer and have been diagnosed with BPG very enlarged and I am on tablets, this doesn't concern me as you said it if had spread they would have diagnosed PC first.

Ankle is long going condition possibly related to both ankles being broken when I was 19 and then 36, this I can deal with, can I take Ibuforen with Tamsolusin and Finasteride?

Side pain does both me as I am fearful of Kidney/stomach/bowel cancer

Yes, it is fine to take iburofen or naroxen with the tamsulosin and finasteride.

Cancer of the kidney or GI tract can cause pain in the right lower abdomen and right side, although there are many other causes of such pain that are more common. If you have had colon cancer screening, such as with colonoscopy, that would look for the most common of these cancers. It also may be necessary to perform an imaging test, such as a CT scan of the abdomen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't seem to have any other symptoms linking me with these cancers never had colonscopy but had Cysytocopy no vomiting, significant weight loss, bloody stools, blood in urine, sickness etc and I can't feel any lump or abnormality, and dipstick test was fine last week?

This all reassuring, but colon cancer screening is recommended for everyone, even if no symptoms are present. If you have not had colon cancer screening, then the fact that you are now having symptoms would mean that the testing is no longer considered screening, but it still would be appropriate to consider. In the vast majority of people in this situation, no cancer will be found to be the cause of the pain. But if you are asking if it is possible, the answer is yes, and the proper method for excluding the possibility would be a colonoscopy.