Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I've had a headache days... It has moved around

Customer Question

Hi - I've had a headache for 4 days... It has moved around the head a few times. I bumped heads while sitting with my girlfriend 3 weeks ago (not hard) and I am now worried it could be a chronic subdural hematoma. I'm 27 and in good health.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Why exactly are you concerned about a subdural hematoma? In otherwords besides the headache do you have any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No other symptoms apart from hitting my head as I said
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Lee. But since you used the very specific medical term subdural hematoma I'm assuming you know something about it. So before I answer your question can you tell me what makes you concerned here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just because of the duration since bumping my head and because I don't usually suffer from headaches. I Know there are more innocuous reasons for headaches. Would be good to know likelihood of mild blow causing such a condition in young, plus likely progression / other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also headache been coming and going not getting worse and mild pain
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. First off it takes a fairly significant blow to the head to cause a subdural. I'm talking about the kind of blow that makes one nearly black out or at least be stunned and a little off balance for a short time. So I see no reason to think that you're developing a subdural and the head bonk with your girlfriend is simply incidental and not related to the headache you have now. If your doctor did a full neurological exam--looking in your eyes, reflexes, balance check, etc--and found everything normal then there really isn't anything to worry about. As for progressing symptoms of a subdural--confusion, drowsiness, balance problems, vision problems, nausea and vomiting would be things to look for.

Let me know if we need to discuss this further please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had read that minor knocks can cause but am guessing that is in elderly? To be clear my head hit was 3 weeks ago
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Only in the very old--not the case with you Lee.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - my headache has gone but am feeling a bit nauseas. Is this common?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

That's nothing to worry about and just so you'll know, once a subdural starts causing a headache, the headache doesn't let up so basically you can put the subdural worry to rest

I would appreciate a rating for my services to you Lee considering all the time I've spent with you. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all your help :)))))
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any time Lee