Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My 9 1/2 years old boy has a few dark patches on his

Customer Question

Hello,my 9 1/2 years old boy has a few dark patches on his skin and they are growing bigger and bigger this started since he was 5-6 years old and they never disappear,I am very concerned about this and the doctors I have asked they prescribe Nizoral shampoon to wash the body with as they think is a fungal,but it dose not disappear at all,what can I do for my son to make this go, please I need an advise.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. It would help greatly if you could post a photo on this page but if that isn't possible can you tell me exactly what color these patches are?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they are dark beige and oval shape and long about 3 to 5 cm long and 1-2 cm wide,on his neck back and leg

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Mariana--and are they completely smooth--just like freckles are smooth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes they are shooth very blended in the skin nothing else on them just the coloration of the skin

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Then it isn't a fungal proble Mariana--just some areas of hyperpigmentation.

Hydroxyquinone cream would lighten the areas but that should really be prescribed and monitored by a dermatologist

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are this growing because my son is growing or they will carry on like this and if the fact that he is not a great fruit eater affects him to have this

Than kyou so much

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No it has nothing to do with his diet. They are growing because he's growing but with the hydroquinone cream, once they've faded away they won't come back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what causes this patches to appear please?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
In general we just don't know the cause--just as we don't really know what causes freckles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

and if cream is not applied as he dose't like anything on his skin will they go in time or tablets can be tacking?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
They should fade in time and there are no tablets that will work on this problem