Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

What would cause an ultrasound scan to not be able to distinguish

What would cause an ultrasound scan to not be able to distinguish between my left kidney and my spleen? Would it be because either of them are enlarged? I have been scheduled for a CT scan, but that will be months away, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that could be. have you ever had surgery on the belly before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a c section 6 years ago, that is all. I had an ultrasound scan 2 months previously to this one and everything was fine, so could either grow large that quickly?
It is probably scar tissue from a prior surgery obstructing it.why was the ultrasound done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have never had this problem before and I have had loads of ultrasounds in the last 6 years. This was an incidental finding as it was a scan for my right lower abdomen as I have a lot of pain there.
I think it is scar tissue that is obscuring it. I agree with the CAT scan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excuse me for being dense, but how can c section scar tissue obscure my kidney/spleen? I have never had anything obscuring the view before and my last scan was clear only 2 months before this. A senior radiographer suggested a CT scan, so I was confident with that as the next step.
Yes that is the next step
Any time you cut the abdomen, scar tissue can form pretty much anywhere
I appreciate the ok rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)