Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Sometimes when I am trying to wee I fart

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is fairly common to express fecal gas when urinating. This is a combination of increased abdominal pressure and relaxation of the pelvic floor muscles. It also is more likely to happen as people age because of loss of elasticity in tissue that is a normal component of aging.

If it only happens occasionally and is not that bothersome, then there is no need to do anything about it. If it is more bothersome, then you can try pelvic floor exercises, also called Kegels. A detailed description can be found at http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/kegel-exercises/art-20045283.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.