Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Raised white blood cell count

Raised white blood cell count
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What is the value of the elevated white blood count?
Do you also have the differential (the count of the different types of white blood cells)?
Are you having any symptoms that lead to checking the white blood count?
Or was this checked along with other screening lab tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Reading was. 13test done as part of other blood tests which were all fine
Do you have the differential, even if it was fine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No sorry doctor said it had increased from 10 to 13 over last 2. Years
Thank you for the additional information.

There is a long list of conditions that can cause an elevated white blood count, including many different infections, various inflammatory conditions, allergies, and various benign or cancerous conditions of the bone marrow.

The total white blood count is the sum of the counts of five common types of white blood cells. Knowing which type of white blood cells are the predominant reason for the elevated total white blood count can suggest which type of problem is present. For example, allergies would tend to cause an increase in the number of eosinophils.

The most common reason for an elevation of the white blood count to 13 in someone with no symptoms would be a viral infection that is relatively mild, so not causing any symptoms. We would call this a sub clinical viral infection.

The differential would be the first consideration to look for a pattern consistent with a viral infection. Another option is to simply recheck the white blood count after a short period of time to see if it returns to normal.

On the other hand, if the differential has a pattern that suggests a different cause, then your doctor may want to perform additional testing.

So, the best that can be said for a white blood count of 13 is that it is most likely from a sub clinical viral infection, but there are many other possible causes. The differential would be the next step in the evaluation of the possible causes of the elevated white blood count.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I am seeing a hemotologist in July and am very anxious as I. Do. Not know what to expect at the consultation thank you once again
You are very welcome.