Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

HelloFollowing a radical prostatectomy my PSA is 0.086, having

Customer Question

hello
Following a radical prostatectomy my PSA is 0.086, having risen from 0.053 on the two previous occasions.
Radiotherapy is being offered, but I am depressed by this as I am only just controlling my incontinence after 12 months. Also I am perplexed by the comments of the Oncologist who agrees with me that the location of the source is unknown. If the source was known I would feel better about the radiation approach. Am I being silly by hesitating? Is it better to just do it and be glad to be alive, because, despite this whinge I am extremely grateful for all the NHS has done for me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

your PSA is still very very low.

PSA is such a good tumor marker that it can detect such microscopic tumor cells, before they can be seen on MRI scan or PET scan or any scan.

what is also important is the findings of the prostate cancer on prostatectomy and if it was an aggressive cancer or if there was cancer cells close to the margins of that procedure.

this would increase risks of that prostate cancer cells were left behind in the prostate bed.

radiation therapy to the prostate bed will have a 60-75% chance of giving you long term PSA control.

and should not long term worsen your urinary incontinence issues.

you should continue doing kegel exercises to help strengthen your pelvic floor muscles.

let me know if you have other questions

and if you have the pathology report from your prostate surgery.