dr prabir kumar das
dr prabir kumar das, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD
15221770

I took my pill at 4pm yesterday and have had diarrhoea at 9am

Customer Question

I took my pill at 4pm yesterday and have had diarrhoea at 9am this morning, would this affect the effectiveness of the pill? I am taking microlite and yesterday was my 8th day
Expert:  dr prabir kumar das replied 2 years ago.
Mild diarrhea will not affect the absorption of ocp and you have not take any extra care in this regard.severe diarrhea may affect the absorption you have to consider it as a missed pill and take extra pill as soon as possible after the diarrhea. But in your case the pill you have taken yesterday at 4 pm will be effective as the pill is usually absorbed within 3 to 4 hours.But if you continue diarrhea today the pill will not be effective .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it is ok since the the pill was in my system for 17hrs? I will be taking my next pill at 4 again today, will that be ok or should I take it sooner?
If you are having with severe diarrhea today don't take any pill today a sit will not be effective and consider it a missed today and take two pills tomorrow at a time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Do you want me to help you out with your concerns?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I was just wondering should I take another pill this morning or will I be ok to wait until 4pm? Or will this affect the effectiveness of the pill?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I notice that you have relisted the question.

There is no need to take another pill this morning. It is better for you to wait and take the pill at 4 pm today and continue taking the pill about the same time each day.

As long as you do not have more significant diarrhea, it will not impact the effectiveness of the pill.
One thing you have to understand that effectiveness depends on the severity of diarrhoea. If you are having with mild diarrhea you continue your regular course as before..Otherwise you should quit your dose today and have it tomorrow as soon as possible and take the scheduled one at 4 on.
Am I not clear?