Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been suffering from lower back ache years

Customer Question

I have been suffering from lower back ache for several years on and off. It is usually when I wake up and gets better when moving. I am able to run 10K 3 times a week without pain. Recently I had a scan and found out that one of my ovaries had run out of folicles and my periods have gone haywire.
I have been suffering from stress and anxiety and have now convinced myself that I have a spine tumour or bowel cancer.
I am very anxious this morning and now have diarroea and now I am completely convinced that I have a tumour.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
I understand your concerns about a tumor in the spine or bowel cancer.
If you had a CT scan or an ultrasound that did not show any tumors then trust me it is VERY unlikely that you have cancer.
Cancers are PAINLESS in the vast majority of cases to start with.
It is only in the late stages that cancers may present with pain.
If you have not had MRI of your back, I would recommend that you should have that done to make sure a disease of the bones of the spine and discs is ruled out as a cause of your back pain.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The scan I had wasn't of my back. It was of my womb and ovaries to see why I was having strange cycles. I have only had an x ray of my spine, but I don't have the results yet.
Would I have other symptoms if I had a tumour?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Cancers are 'silent' in the vast majority of cases and may not present with any symptoms.
So presence or absence of symptoms does not mean that you have or do not have a tumor.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.