Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Sharpish pain on left side at the hip (like a 'stitch' when

sharpish pain on left side at the hip (like a 'stitch' when running) intermittent
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

HI. How long has this been going on? Is the pain actually in the hip area?

And have you had any x-rays or scans to look at the problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This has been going on for approx. 3 months. Pain just above the hip bone in the soft flesh in the, I suppose the kidney area. Appears to be near the surface. I have not had any x- rays or scans to the moment. Pain goes away while I am resting and appears sometimes to move towards my back but mainly sharp pain just above the hip

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so the pain is locately in your back Robert? Any lumps or tenderness there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, pain 95% of time just above the hip bone left hand side - just occasionally seems to move to back. No lumps or tenderness but only fairly sharp pain/tenderness above the hip bone where the pain is.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK--just wanted to make sure since that's nowhere near where your kidneys are.

We can certainly continue after this if you'd like Robert, but were I your doctor I would first start with x-rays of you lumbar spine, pelvis and hip. I would also get an MRI of the lumbar spine and hip.

There are a few possibiities here--

One would be either a hip bursitis or tendonitis.

Another would be a disk problem in the lumbar spine.

A third might be sacroiliitis.

Depending on the actual cause I would refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for hands-on treatment that should resolve your symptoms