Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My wife has had a bit of a breakdown and she has left

Customer Question

Hello my wife has had a bit of a breakdown and she has left the home she Stopping with a friend to get time away from everything and clear her head she has saw doctor and she is going to be seeing a counsellor, but she says it's nothing to do with me or our relationship it's all her and her mind, when she starts her counselling does she need to be back at home in her environment to make it better or staying away helping her, plus will the couselor recommend her to be back at home ??
Thanks you
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Although she says that it has nothing to do with you, does she have any insight into what is the underlying cause or contributing factors of the symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She said she depressed and something happend in her past which she has told no one and it's come back to her now and she can't cope, she feels numb about everything at the moment
To be able to more completely address your question, it would require a better understanding of what is the factors that made her want to leave the home. Even if the original issue is something in her distant past before she meet you, there may be something in the current situation that reminds her of the original situation.

Certainly, the goal will usually be to return to the primary home situation as soon as possible, but the counsellor will typically try to get a better understanding of the factors the contributed to and precipitated her symptoms and then develop a plan to address these issues and facilitate return to the primary home.

Some of these issues can be addressed more quickly than others, but without knowing more details of the issue, it is difficult to be very specific.

So, you are generally correct that in situations in which the home situation is not contributing to the mental health issue, the goal of treatment is get the patient back into the primary home as quickly as possible. However, whether this can be adequately addressed during the initial visit would depend upon the complexity of the issues involved, so the timeliness at which this can be accomplished can vary significantly.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.