Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I was given results of my upper back MRI on Friday, it has

Hi I was given results of my upper back MRI on Friday, it has shown that something is pressing on my spinal canal. The radiologist report suggested a contrast MRI or possible surgical intervention. I have been told it could be a Haematoma or a Herniated disc (although apparently this is not common at level 10) and to go away and wait untill the end of August/September when they will then do the contrast MRI in the hope that the body will get rid of it by itself, if it does not then i will be referred to a Neurosurgeon and to take pain relieve in the meen time.
I am in excruciating pain in my back and shoulder and cannot walk properly because I cannot put any weight on my right side. I cannot sit down and it even hurts when I breath. I am taking Tramadol, Gabapentin and Naproxin and am still in agonising pain What should I do?
Many Thanks
Carolyn
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can certainly continue after this but this sounds like a herniated disk--a haematoma would be very unusual here. You need the contrast MRI to better define this but at this point I think you need surgical intervention considering your symptoms. I don't think this should wait until August or September since things could get a lot worse before then

Let me know if you need more information please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am considering A&E because I can not cope with tbe pain. Do you feel this is reasonable under the circumstances?.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is. At the least they can give you more effective pain medications and evaluate how much the problem has advanced at this point Carolyn

Please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you