Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My husband over the past 2 week has suffered severe hair

Hello,My husband over the past 2 week has suffered severe hair loss, a large circle at the top of his head it comes out in handfulls, he is also experiencing severe pain in his head in the same place
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Is there any itching in the area?
Any rash?
Is there any history of hair loss in his family?
How is his frontal hair line?
Let me know, so that I can help you with an answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it does itch, no rash, members of his family have hair loss his father never did, his hair is reciding at the front but has always been like that he has a good head of hair apart from that one place,it is the pain that is worrying

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the details.
I would not put this in the male patterned balding or hereditary list since, there is pain and itching and he is loosing hair from the vertex rather than the typical hairline recession that occurs in the male patterned hereditary type of hair loss.
The most common cause of such a patchy hair loss is fungal infection of the scalp, this can be due to ring worms (fungal infection) or other types of fungi that thrive in the scalp.
I would suggest that he discontinues using his regular shampoo and use an antifungal shampoo available OTC such as Ketoconazole shampoo for 7 days. He should start feeling a decrease in his symptoms on the 3rd or the 4th day. This should alleviate the symptoms and will cause no harm to his scalp.
The second thing that comes to mind is alopecia areata which is a condition that is triggered by an emotional event, stress or recent illness of any kind that renders the immune system weak. In this case, there is nothing to be done and the hairloss recovers spontaneously - but I would not bet on the second condition because this is not accompanied with pain and itching.
If the anti fungal shampoo fails to alleviate the concerns in 4 to 5 days, then dermatitis (scalp skin inflammation) should be considered and a dermatologist should be contacted for steroid application.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have more queries about this.
Best wishes.