Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am a 21 year old male, I recently was tested

I am a 21 year old male, I recently was tested for testosterone as I had thin hair on lower leg, it can back as 350 ng/dl which is quite low, but my doctor said she doesn't think it is an issue. I was ill 5 days before with flu and fever and was still having night sweats the night before blood test, and not much sleep, could they be the reason for my low reading? Many thanks
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

the normal range of testosterone in males is about 270 to 1070 ng/dL

your infection and flu before your blood test could have affected your blood levels

you can get your testosterone repeated again when you are feeling better.

thin hair on the lower leg doesn't mean you have low testosterone levels.

are you able to have erections?

are you able to masturbate and climax?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply, I have just been worried as 350 was low for someone my age, but like I said I was recovering from a virus about 5 days previous, but was still getting night sweats and stuff not very much sleep if any. I have read that lack of sleep can cause lowered testosterone and I am a very poor sleeper, so do you think sleep plus the illness would be enough to lower it to 350 but for my healthy level ( when we'll and after good amount of sleep) to be nearer 600 (average for my age) basically I'm just concerned hat my level is low for my age, but I'm hoping that is just because of those circumstances at the time. I don't have erection problems, I have less sex drive than a year or two ago but I have been with my partner a long(ish) time so may just be that, I have no problems masturbating etc. I did take finastefie for a year when I was 18 so hope that didn't cause any long standing problems. Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
yes, sleep and the illness could have caused your testosterone levels to be low

you need to work on improving your sleep.

daily exercise can help you sleep better.

that is good you don't have problems with masturbation

finasteride for a year at a 18 would not affect your testosterone levels now.

work on eating healthy and exercising regularly

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician