Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

I have been told that I have lost my baby because of blood

Customer Question

I have been told that I have lost my baby because of blood test results from last night. But I can pinpoint the earliest possible date of conception to May 8th yet my GP said because of the way it is calculated I'm 8-9 wks pregnant. I was distressed so didn't think it through but having now looked at hormone charts I can see that a level of 5 so early on isn't necessarily a miscarriage and given the information the GP told me to give, the early pregnancy unit would've been expecting levels of 230,000. Am I just clutching at straws?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
So you are estimated at 8-9 weeks and your HCG is 5?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No - I am only 4-5 weeks, but my gp seems to have added a month and I had no idea how much difference that makes to the levels the EPU would expect to see

Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 2 years ago.
the other doctor is off line
do you still want help?
Did you have an ultrasound?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. When I left A&E last night I was told that I would be called this morning with an ultrasound appointment, but instead I got a call telling me that a scan would be pointless because my hormone levels meant that I had miscarried. All I want to know is whether the fact that the hospital staff thought I was 8 weeks rather than 4 would have made a huge difference. I looked the levels up - the increase is exponential and I had no idea how massive the difference was. I don't know why my GP said I was 8-9 weeks anyway. I need to know whether it is possible that I am still pregnant please. I have two children and have never miscarried before but I have not lost any clots or significant amount of blood and I don't feel like I have lost the baby

The hormone levels do not necessarily mean you miscarried.
You need to repeat them at 48 hours and see if they are rising, but getting an ultrasound is very important.
This may be a late implantation or your dates are off.
The ultrasound is key. I would make sure it is done.

I hope that this helped
Please leave positive feedback for my time and expertise :-)