Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I require an advocate.

Customer Question

I require an advocate.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you clarify your question a bit for me please? Exactly what type of advocate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

An advocate in my area with knowledge of Aspergers Syndrome please.

David

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry David but that still isn't clear to me. Are you saying you need a physician with training and knowlege about Asperger's?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Chip

I asked for an advocate with knowledge of Aspergers Syndrome. This is not a Physician.

An advocate helps you to obtain the support you require but he/she is not a General Practitioner.

David

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand David but tell me exactly what support you need that and advocate could help you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Chip

One thing that an advocate can help me with is get me someone who will take me to social activities and help me to integrate.

They are usually linked to Mental Health charities.

Hope that helps.

David

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK David--just one more question about this--

What did the people at Matthew's Hub tell you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My advocate at Matthew's Hub told me he was going to improve my confidence, make it clear to my employers that my issues were not going to go away and make my life happier by implementing what I had asked for.

My trade union asked for a statement explaning that my advocate had not received support from Management. Although my advocate initially committed himself to this, he couldn't be bothered to produce a statement, he did not keep me informed of what he was doing so I became anxious. The result was I lost my job and I cannot even go to an industrial tribunal because my union representive and my advocate had messed up. Unfortunately my relationship with my advocate became one sided. He had talked about me but not to me. This also caused a problem for my jobclub leader.

So I have decided I need to start afresh with a new advocate.

What I have told her is not positive is it?

David

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Sorry--not sure what you meant about what you told her?

And can I ask what website's you've checked out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Chip

I meant what I told you is not positive.

I have checked that various websites. A lot of them do not have advocates in my area.

David

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

No it certainly is not positive David.

Just one last question--where exactly do you live?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Chip

I live in Bridlington but being 47 means I don't always fit the age boundaries. I have travelled to Hull about 30 miles away previously. Unfortunately when contacting Scarborough which is 16 miles away, I am considered outside of their boundary.

Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire. Usually still classed as Yorkshire and Humberside.

David

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Doctor

I have already contacted the autism org and the National Autistic Society. In fact I have re-emailed the NAS.

David

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK David. The other option for you would be to go through a psyciatrist who deals with Aspergers patients--that would be the best way to get you the advocacy you need
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Chip

That will mean going to see my GP which I will be doing shortly but I don't think he will feel that a Psychiatrist will do what an advocate does.

I take it we have reached a dead end!

David

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Not a dead end David--whether your GP thinks that would help or not you should see a psychiatrist who would have the means available to refer you to the proper service

Let me know how things go