Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been feeling very tired and lethargic, muscle aches

I have been feeling very tired and lethargic, muscle aches with a bad headache for over 2 weeks, I feel tired as soon as I wake although I have at least 8 hours a night. II am taking 100mg levothyroxine for an under active thyroid. My doctor sent me for a blood test and FBC, this came back as functioning as normal and normal Thyroid Function. Can you help with any further ideas of whats wrong?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
From what you are describing this could be a viral infection causing the bad headache and the aches and pains that you are having.
This usually does take a couple of weeks to settle but can take longer.
Plus, quite often a low vitamin D levels can cause the symptoms that you are experiencing in which case vitamin D and calcium supplements may help.
If your symptoms persist I would recommend that you should also have your cortisol levels checked.
Quite often, particularly in people who are having a low thyroid function, the cortisol levels are also low leading to the symptoms that you are having.
Also, I would recommend keeping your TSH level around 1. Although the normal range of TSH is between 0.3 to 3 but the optimal range is around 1.
So if your TSH level is not optimal I would recommend that the dose of the medication should be increased to bring it to the optimal range.
Meanwhile I would recommend that you should keep yourself well hydrated by drinking lots of electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade and pedialyte.
A bit of dehydration can either cause or worsen such symptoms.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.