Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been diagnosed with benign positional vertigo, have

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with benign positional vertigo, have had the Epley Manouevre performed and advised to do the Brandt Darloff exercises daily. I have been doing these, but find that the vertigo has not gone, and in fact its presentation can take several forms, it started with lying down and turning my head to the right hand side, then, it assumed the espisode when i turned to the left, it can also occur if i bend my head forward, or tilt my head back. on all occasions my head feels as if it's spinning inside!
Ive had this situation now for 8 weeks, and accompanying it is lethargy! breathlessness on occasions and general fatigue, I have nausea, but this is manageable. In all honesty, i feel very unlike myself, even my ability to think seems to be affected.
Could there be other reasons for this situation existing?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How was the BPV diagnosed exactly?
Do you have any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I saw a Ear, nose, and throat consultant two weeks ago, who carried out an assessment including a neurological assessment of me, then performed the Epley manoeuvre, following that he advised Brandt Doroff exercises. I have also noticed that I have lost my sense of smell, and in addition to this my eyes feel as though they are out of sync. with my head movement. I understand that this can all be indicative of Vertigo, but i feel really out of sorts!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel low in energy, breathless at times and generally fatigued, my head feels as if I'm in a fugue, and I feel quite low in mood? quite weepy in fact on times!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have suffered with depression in the past and take escitalopram 10mgs for this, I have hyper lipideamia and take Atorvastin for this condition, and have also suffered from hypertension of long standing, for which I take 2.5 mgs of bendromethfluazide
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my blood pressure at present is 106 over 66
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i also suffer from spondylitis if this is of any help to you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So no specific testing like an MRI and Electronystagmography (ENG), thyroid function, cortisol levels, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no nothing like that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The condition started suddenly, I rolled over in bed, moving my head to the the right hand side, and the spinning i felt inside of my head was umbelievable! i felt as if my eyes were going from side to side involuntarily! and I felt sick but did not actually vomit! This was 8 weeks ago, and the condition has not resolved as yet, I went to my GP on three occasions was assessed and prescribed medication, which, hasn't done anything for the condition, then, arranged an appointment with a consultant ENT surgeon.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. You need all that including an MRI of both your brain, auditory canals, and cervical spine to check out the exactly cause of your vertigo. My suggestion would be to revisit the ENT and discuss this with him.
Let me know if you need any more information
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you, ***** ***** take this up with the consultant, i am due to revisit him at the end of this month
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are there many caused of vertigo?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
causes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes there are causes in addition to an inner ear problem and I gave you the way to check for all the others