Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Good afternoon, I have a pain down my left side around the

Good afternoon, I have a pain down my left side around the rib area I can feel the pain from under my arm down to the last rib, I also get some pain around the front of my chest on the last rib, the pain moves around between these areas and sometimes gives a sharp pain when I breath in. My general health is fine and don't have any other symptoms , the pain seems to have worsens over 5 - 7 days, what could this be?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Most likely costochondritis or inflammation of the ribcage related.
Viral infection, heavy lifting, or stretching can cause this commonly.
Sometimes, this can be more serious.
Myocarditis or pericarditis or inflamamtion of the heart membranes can cause this.
Also pneumonia can cause this as well although fever and cough also seen usually.
You need to see our GP for a clinical evaluatino to rule out pericarditis and myocarditis.
Costochondritis will improve with ibuprofen, rest, heat, and sometimes steroid injection over time.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response, in December to January this year I bruised my ribs badly due to a motorbike accident, and recently I've been going swimming every day, could the swimming have caused problems with my ribs even months later?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Yes likely.
Swimming makes you use the rib cage muscles extensively.
This can cause inflammation and symptoms.
Please avoid swimming for now.
Discuss with your GP also.

Best wishes