Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Does leukocytes in urine always mean there is an infection

Does leukocytes in urine always mean there is an infection present, or can it just be from something else? I dipstick at home and there are leukocytes, but the lab never finds anything?!
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically minimal number of leukocytes will always be found in the urine, as old cells are passed from the system and this is normal. If a high number of leukocytes are found in the urine, this is a sign that there may be an inflammation in the urinary system, and this is best diagnosed accurately by microscopic examination of urine. Leukocytes can also be a contaminant, such as those from vaginal secretions.

Hence I would go by the laboratory findings where they do the chemical tests and also the microscopic examination of the urine.

Take care.