Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had high blood pressure one month - never below

I have had high blood pressure for over one month - never below 175. I lost my husband three months ago, would this be the reason? I am reluctant to take drugs but if my blood pressure is high enough to cause a stroke, then drugs are the better option aren't they?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry for your loss.

Yes, a highly stressful life event, such as the loss of a spouse, can contribute to elevation in blood pressure. Since your blood pressure is consistently elevated to this level, then it would be at a dangerous level. A blood pressure above 180 is the threshold at which it is considered an acute risk for a stroke, but if your blood pressure is never below 175, then it is probably exceeding 180 some of the time. In this situation, it would be better to use medicines, at least for now. When there has been a life event contributing to the elevated blood pressure, then the blood pressure may ease after a period of time, so it is possible that the current need for medicine will not continue indefinitely.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since my blood pressure is sometimes over 200 I will take your advice and see my GP. Many thanks.
You are very welcome.