Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My partner got infected with genital herpes in 2001

My sexual partner got infected with genital herpes in 2001 and had symptoms twice in that year, but hasn't had any symptoms since. We started going out 4 months ago and we're having unprotected sex - we both got checked before I started the pill. Is it possible that he can pass the virus on now? Should I get tested for the virus if I don't have any symptoms?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Although the risk of passing the virus is always there but in the dormant phase that is when there are no cold sores or lesions present on the genital area, there is very little risk of transmission. I would however, suggest that you practice protected sexual intercourse whenever possible even in the dormant phase, since the virus never really goes away in a person once infected.
You can get tested for the virus to ascertain your status whenever you want and I think it would be a good idea to get it done.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.