Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My mum ( years old) has been prescribed by her Doctor 1000mg

My mum (69 years old) has been prescribed by her Doctor 1000mg Vitamin D in tablet form, because she is getting pain and weakness in her legs and knees. The Doctor said that her blood test shows a deficiency, and she should take the vitamins to reduce the pain and weakness. Can you explain why she has been prescribed vitamin D, and what kind of issue was the Doctor referring to? Also, how long will it take for the tablets to take effect, as she is complaining they are making no difference?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.
The doctor was referring to Osteomalacia, a condition of the 5th and 6th decade of life due to decreased mineralization of the bones caused by a deficiency of vitamin D.
With the supplements it should take about 2 to 3 months for her symptoms to go away.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.