Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a blocked salivary gland and have had it since April.

Customer Question

I have a blocked salivary gland and have had it since April. I am on the waiting list to see an ENT consultant but have been told it could take 3 months to be seen. Recently it has become extremely swollen and painful and eating has induced excruciating pain. I have gargled with salt water and taken ibuprofen but the pain is still severe. Should I see my G.P again and ask to be seen sooner? Is there anything else I can do to help relieve the pain?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

yes, you should see your GP doctor sooner

you should be using warm compresses on the area to help open up blocked salivary glands

you should make sure you drink plenty of fluids

you can also suck on lemon drops or hard candy to help stimulate your parotid gland to produce more saliva to help push out the stone.

this may or may not work for you.

when it is more painful, you can use cold compresses or ice to help reduce swelling and pain.

your ENT doctor might have to incise into the salivary gland to help drain out blocked saliva to reduce the swelling

your GP might also try a course of antibiotics which could help fight any bacterial infection which could be going on in the blocked salivary gland

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much. The pain today has been 8/9 out of 10 after eating. I will make an appointment with my G.P tomorrow to see if he can ask for my referral to be pushed through sooner. I didn't know what to do with myself the pain was so bad so haven't eaten today. I will try lemon drops.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
try the warm compresses and cold compresses on the cheeks to see if that helps

your doctor can also give you a prescription for codeine to help decrease pain.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com