Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I started with a mild headache 6 days ago. It has been

Customer Question

I started with a mild headache 6 days ago. It has been with me everyday with shooting pains in my head every so often.The first few days I had tingling sensation down left arm which I haven't felt the last two days. I also experienced nausea the first four or five days along with dizziness. I just haven't felt myself. This evening the headache flared up with a pain behind left eye and ear and a peculiar sensation down left side of face and shivers.
I have been going to my docs due to a pain on left side under ribs in back and my doctor thinking there is an infection. I stared a course of antibiotics for this today.
Three weeks ago I was having palpation every night once settled in bed. This went on for two weeks then stopped, still happening occasionally the past week. Slightly worried over headache and what it's causing me. Doctor didn't seem that concerned over it.
Thank yiy
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The two most common causes of headache are muscle contraction headaches and migraine headaches, although some people can have mixed headaches with features of both common types of headaches. When the headache is associated with nausea and neurologic symptoms, it is more likely due to migraines. Muscle contraction headaches are frequently associated with periods of stress, so also have historically been called tension headaches, but this is misleading, because many people with migraine headaches also notice that stress can precipitate a migraine.

Neither of these common types of headache are serious, in that they do not have serious complications. However, these headaches can be quite severe in some people, particularly the migraine headache, and if the headaches are severe, they can be quite debilitating.

There are some serious causes of headache, in that they have bad long-term outcomes or complications although occurring much less often. However, when doctors assess someone with headaches and says that it does not look serious, they are usually referring to the fact that there is no evidence of any of these serious causes of headache.

So, it is a good sign that your doctor did not seemed concerned about the headaches, and it supports that it is more likely that this is a migraine headache, and the severity of the headache may be related to the stress on the body of the acute infection.

When someone presents with an initial headache that is unlike any that has been present previously, it is appropriate to be seen by your doctor, as you have done. If it appears to be one of the common types of headache, the usual initial approach is symptomatic relief. If the headaches recur, then additional interventions may be considered, depending upon the pattern of the headaches.

At this point, though, it is appropriate to be using over the counter medicines for relief of the pain.

The palpitations may be related to the infection, so may resolve as the infection improves. If the palpitations persist, then it would be appropriate to pursue further evaluation for the palpitations.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I have continued with the dull headache the last few days but today suddenly after returning from a walk I felt it worsen. This time on my right side, pressure behind eye, ear and then it travelled down far right side of face/cheek and back of neck. I had to lie down and it has left me feeling tired. It seems to change sides of my head when it becomes worse. Do you think it could be more than a migraine as I'm quite worried as iv had this headache now for about 9 days.

I've been on the antibiotics for 4 days and there are not helping with pain in my side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Doctor seems to be offline. Would like my second questions answered
I am sorry, but I was away from the computer during the day today.

Even if the headache has ersisted for 9 days, it is most likely to be a benign cause of the headache. A persistent headache, though, is another reason to be seen by your doctor for an evaluation, in addition to the new headache that is unlike anything that you have had reviously that is noted above.