Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Would a cyst show up on a scan as a soft tissue mass or what

Would a cyst show up on a scan as a soft tissue mass or what kind of things show up as a soft tissue mass? Scar tissue, cancer, benign changes etc? I have a 1.8cm mass adjacent to my spleen and left kidney. A ultrasound scan wasn't sure what it was, but I am waiting for a CT scan but that could take months, so I need to prepare myself. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

a cyst tends to be filled with fluid.

I would get a copy of the ultrasound report.

I would be happy to help you interpret it.

I'm sure it is benign.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the exact report wording:
There is a 1.8cm soft tissue mass adjacent to the left kidney and the spleen. This appears similar in echogenicity to the spleen and could represent some splenic tissue. However this does not appear on a previous CT scan dated a year ago.
I also for the last 3years have had a slightly enlarged spleen on 15cms.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
what you have is Splenosis or ectopic spleen tissue or extra spleen tissue next to the spleen and left kidney.

this is benign and not dangerous
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is very reassuring but why has it never been picked up before? I had had 3 ultrasounds in the last year and none have mentioned this, only the 15cms enlargement. Was it just this sonographer was more thorough and mentioned this? And also does this extra tissue grow quickly as it was not on my CT scan exactly a year ago. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
it could be new benign spleen tissue.

it could be this sonographer is more thorough.

there is no way to know without reviewing your prior ultrasound images with your radiology doctors.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com