DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have on two occasions had large very black, sharply defined

I have on two occasions had large very black, sharply defined oval objects appear in my vision. They seem to develop over night and gradually disappear during the day.
The shapes in each eye are mirror images of each other.
They last over a 3 to 5 day period. I have had a full eye investigation . The optician reported that he could find nothing wrong. He referred me to my GP who said that they were just floaters and that I should not worry .
Having read descriptions of floaters on the web I feel that they are quite different to what I have experienced . They do not drift and I can look directly at them.
I an 73 years old and in good health other than being on 5mg Ramapril for blood pressure.
I would welcome you advice.
John Lumsden
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello John,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You need a dilated retinal exam.
This could be an early sign of retinal detachment or other retinal problems.
I assume you have been tested for glaucoma.
It can also be a visual migraine, which is not uncommon.
I would see a retinal specialist first.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that. I have had a full dilated retinal examination. The optician has reported to my GP that he can find no problem with my eyes . I have had a glaucoma check. Neither my GP nor the optician could explain the occurrence of the identical image in both eyes (albeit in mirror image.)

Do you think that I should request a second opinion.

John Lumsden

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes from a retinal specialist.
And, if that is not revealing, a neurologist.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.