Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been referred to a Gastroenterology clinic because I

I have been referred to a Gastroenterology clinic because I have a high level of gamma glutamyl transferase despite not drinking alcohol. Can you tell me what this could mean is wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Were your other liver enzymes normal?

Have you had a sonogram of your liver?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Serum alkaline phosphate see level 114 and serum alanine amino transferase level 36 all others normal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had an ultra sound of my liver gallbladder and kidneys and that has come back normal
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And what was your GGT level Deborah?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was 157 in March then one month of no alcohol and raised to 158
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK Deborah.

There's a possibility here that it was the alcohol that was raising your GGT and it might take as many as three months being alcohol-free for the level to return to normal.

Assuming the liver was normal on the scan and there was no evidence of a fatty liver (which can also elevate liver enzymes), I really see no reason for any further workup like a liver biopsy or a ct scan.

I think, for the most part, your liver is fine but you probably should abstain from all alcohol from now on

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this mean I will have to abstain from alcohol for good?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
In my opinion your liver is sensitive to alchohol and if you were my patient I would tell you that it would be best to stay away from it entirely. But talk to the gastrolenterologist about that. Perhaps a glass of wine once a week won't do any harm.