Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

One of my chefs burned his finger yesterday with butter.

Hi, one of my chefs burned his finger yesterday with butter. Today his finger has tripled the size with a blister that keeps swelling. He is still working and have advised not to pop it as worried for infection. He has rubbed aloe vera cream and left his finger on running cold water. Still swelling though. can you please advice?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The first and foremost thing to do is to stop working. Butter can cause second degree burns on the finger and the bleb is a sign of a second degree burn.
He should keep the finger covered with a non adhesive dressing like paraffin gauze or apply bacitracin on the bleb and cover it with a bandage. The elevation of the finger is also necessary and the elevation is done by keeping the hand at the level of the heart.
If the finger is used and left dependent than the swelling will increase in size. Along with these precautions he needs to start on an anti inflammatory like Advil 400 mg thrice a day. The bleb will ultimately rupture and if at that time, the finger is not covered in a dressing and the raw surface is exposed to the environment there is a chance of this getting infected.
Other than that, working with such a finger is also not hygienic as far as the food he prepares is concerned.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if there is anything else that you need to know about this.
Best wishes.