Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

One of my chefs had a burn with butter last night. He thought

Customer Question

One of my chefs had a burn with butter last night. He thought just running cold water would help. This morning his finger doubled the size with a big blister. Whilst the day has gone by his finger has tripled in size but not a swollen but by the blister. What to do?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This sounds like a severe second degree burn. The blister is best left intact if possible since it's a natural bandage. He should apply Eucerin or Aloe vera ointment and gently wrap the finger in a gauze bandage and take both Benadryl and ibuprofen for the pain and swelling. If redness starts spreading from the burn area then it's getting infectected and he needs to have a doctor take a look at it at that point