Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My friend has a large lump under left armpit which has grown

Customer Question

My friend has a large lump under left armpit which has grown quite big she has had it 3 years and is painless . She has now been to have a scan and it is not a cyst or fat she has also got a lump on left breast . Do you think it is cancer.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

With a lump in the left breast and a lump under the armpit, it certainly is a concern that it could be breast cancer. Breast cancer is less often seen in a 34 year old and becomes more common with increasing age, but it is still a possibility at age 34.

There are other possible causes, including fibrocystic disease causing the lump in the breast and benign enlargement of a lymph node causing the lump in the armpit. But when a lump in the breast or armpit is persistent, it would be appropriate to pursue further evaluation to be certain of the diagnosis, including being certain whether it is or is not cancer.

So, while breast cancer does not present as often in a 34 year old, it certainly is possible, and further evaluation should be done to be certain of whether it is cancer.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.