Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My father was returned home from hospital in a emaciated condition

Customer Question

my father was returned home from hospital in a emaciated condition with acute diarrhoea on sunday our doctor said he had 2 to3 day left to live its now 6 days we have stopped his dirrhoea and he seems much recovered but is taking no food and very little water his mouth is sore prior to hospital he was fairly ok for 88 he is in this condition due to lack of care at the hospital he appears to be recovering looks better stronger my question is what can we feed him if he will eat he has had today 2 small yogurts and 2 spoons of chicken soup but would require more food intake we had not been feeding him on the doctors advice but my father has been asking for food
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hello and first off let me apologize for this question going so very long without a response. The problem was all your questions were somehow posted in the OB/GYN section instead of the Medical section.

For now certainly what your father needs are plenty of fluids--not just water, but juices, GatorAde, broths, and soups to start with.

As far as more solid food I'd suggest the BRAT diet of bananas, rice applesauce and toast.

If he can tolerate them, Ensure liquid and puddings would be als a good way for him to get some calorie dense nutrition.

Let me know if you need to discuss this any further please