Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had chicken pox but will be looking after a little boy

I have had chicken pox but will be looking after a little boy with chicken pox next week. I am also due to have an interview with a woman who is expecting a baby in July. Will I pose any danger to the pregnant lady due to my contact with chicken pox?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If you are certain that you had chickenpox in the past, then there is no risk to you to look after a little boy with chickenpox or to later contact a pregnant woman. You now have immunity, so that you cannot catch chickenpox again, nor can you transmit the virus to another person simply by contacting someone with active chickenpox.

The only way that you could transmit chickenpox to someone would be if you were to develop shingles, which is a re-activation of the previous chickenpox. If you are not having any symptoms of shingles, then you do not pose any risk to the pregnant woman.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What are the symptoms of shingles?

Shingles can cause a rash/sores similar to chickenpox, but only in a very limited portion of the body, specifically along the course of a single nerve. Since the virus is growing in the nerve, it also can cause various nerve related symptoms, such as burning, tingling, or pain. The nerve symptoms frequently develop before the rash and may persist long after the rash is gone.