Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My mother suffers with chronic back pain and has been on Butrans

My mother suffers with chronic back pain and has been on Butrans 10 mcg patchs, paracetamol and codeine for a few months now, her gp has now prescribed liquid morphine to take every 4 hours but she forgot to ask if she can continue with the patchs and other pain relief or if these should be stopped. Please help as she is worried about overdosing.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically you need to consult your doctor again since this combination of medications is not recommended and can produce serious and significant interactions including increased sedation. Her overdosing concern is valid and this needs to be resolved by her GP, since he/she has prescribed them, and in an online consultation unfortunately I cannot either prescribe a medication or ask any person to discontinue any medication without examining the patient.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately as it is the weekend the surgery is not open until Monday so does she not take the morphine until Monday.

Dear customer,

Yes she can start the medication only after confirming from her GP that she can take all the medications together.

However if she has severe pain she can go to the ER if the clinic is not open until Monday.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One last question - should the doctor not have said if she couldn't take them all together as he has access to all her medical notes and would know what she is already prescribed.

Dear customer,

Yes, you are right. The doctor should have said that, in fact he/she should have again explained and given written advice about all the medications and when she should take them.

Also it is possible that the GP meant her to take all of them, and this combination may be prescribed by some doctors. However it is safe to confirm.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your advice, I will recommend that my Mother does nothing until she has spoken to her GP on Monday.

Dear customer,

You are welcome.