Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had fundoplication surgery 3 weeks ago and since then

I had fundoplication surgery 3 weeks ago and since then i am experiencing low sugar levels about 1-2 hours after i eat. I have never been diabetic or had low sugar levels so I know it's the operation that has caused this
Can you please let me know if this will correct itself over time
I eat complex carbs and protein but it still comes on
Will this go or shall i have the operation reversed
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Hypoglycemia and dumping syndrome can be seen after Nissen's funduplication procedure and is due to a combination of rapid gastric emptying, rapid absorption of glucose causing hyperglycemia, and excessive insulin secretion.
The treatment is not with a high carbohydrate diet. You need to go and see your Surgeon and mention your symptoms to him/her.
Treatment with a low carbohydrate diet and anticholinergic agents may offer symptomatic relief and should be considered first. This can often be treated on diet modification alone. A diet free from rapidly absorbed sugars and divided into several small meals.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will this rectify itself after time or has the operation caused another problem because if it has I will get a reversal
What im trying to say is will this go back to how i was before or do i have to be on medication and food diets for rest of my life
Can dumping syndrome get better with time
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
Early dumping syndrome is likely to resolve on its own within three months. In the meantime, there's a good chance that diet changes will ease your symptoms.
I would suggest that you follow this up with your Surgeon and see if the modifications in the diet are easing the symptoms, if not, then medication like Octrotide (somatostatin) should be started. The symptoms should resolve within 3 months. Once, resolved you can slowly taper off the medication and gradually improve your diet to what you had before the surgery.
If they do not, you always have a choice to revert the surgery.
Best wishes.