Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My husband has had very high temperatures and then is freezing

My husband has had very high temperatures and then is freezing for 3 days now. He says it is the flu but the temperatures are the only symptoms, so I don't believe it is the flu. We are a Britisg couple living in St Lucia in the Caribbean can you give me some advice on how to reduce his high temperature?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
To reduce the temperature you should do cold sponging and fanning.
The right way to do that is to apply soaked cold water compresses to the soles of the feet, the hands, the forehead, the abdomen and the arm pits. And let the water then evaporate under the fan, once evaporated - repeat the cycle. This should do the trick in 10 to 15 minutes. You can also place alcohol or ethanol soaked cotton swabs in his arm pits while you do the cold sponging. That will give early results.
Paracetamol 1000 mg four times a day is the right dose for an adult.
If the fever does not subside with the above, then going to see a doctor will be the best course of action.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you doctor. I will go and do this for him. He is in the air conditioner bedroom, will this be sufficient cooling? Or should I use the fan too?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.

The air should be blown at him directly, this can be accomplished by a fan better rather than an air conditioner since air from the conditioner will be very cold and the water will not evaporate and your husband will feel cold and be non compliant with the sponging. The air is required to evaporate the water, the sooner the water evaporates, the better the body will cool down. So, a fan will be a better option. You can use a piece of card or something stiff to blow the air at him. Please do leave a positive rating for the service. Best wishes.