Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have real pain on the outside of my neck, moving down

Hi,I have real pain on the outside of my neck, moving down towards my throat. Most painful part is in the larynx area and to the right side of it. I have referred pain down the whole side of my neck, head and back. No swollen glands though.. What could this be?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Since how long are you having this pain?
Is it tender to touch?
Have you been seen for this?
Any tests done?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Woke up yesterday am with it.. Extremely tender to touch. Almost like I've been strangled in the night.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Really hurts to swallow but the pressure, not actually inside...
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
With what you are describing, it seems most likely to be a muscular pain which is something very common when you sleep at night in a wrong posture.
I would recommend that you should take something like over-the-counter ibuprofen or naproxen three to four times a day for the pain and continue massaging it.
Also apply a topical pain relieving balm on it to help with the pain.
Such pains do take around one to two weeks at least to go away as the muscle heals up.
If the pain persists beyond two weeks or has not improved any at two weeks time you will most likely require a MRI of your cervical spine to make sure that the discs and bones in the neck are okay.
Sometimes one of the discs in the spine presses on the nerve and causes the kind of pain that you are having in which case nerve pain medications may help.
But, the most likely cause seems to be a muscular pain in your case which can present exactly like the way you describe it and is very tender to touch as well.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I did think it's muscular, I'm going to see my osteopath ASAP as my whole back hurts. I am quite shivery also.. Could this be linked
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Yes, with a lot of pain one can become shivery.
Again not something that I would worry about too much.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.