DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I looking from information from someone with vast experience

I looking from information from someone with vast experience in dealing with Remeron / Mirtazipine. I've been taking 15mg for 3 months, and want to quit using it whist avoiding withdrawal. I am reducing the dose to 7.5 mgs to ease off them gradually. I would like to know if this is reasonable for tappering off, considering I'm not on it all that long? Also what feedback have you received re; withdrawal symptoms for similar patient?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Many patients do not withdrawal at all, even stopping suddenly.
Every doctor does this differently, and YOUR doctor much manage this and be in charge.
The schedule you have is reasonable, if the doctor is supervision.
If you experience symptoms, holding the dose there until stable is one option, then tapering further.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I've read on various forums that withdrawal from Remeron is nasty. Like I mentioned in my initial question, what feedback have you received regarding Remeron withdrawal.

Do you think 3 months makes a difference, or is it a case that once you're on it for a no. of weeks the withdrawal symptoms are the same regardless of the time on it thereafter? Is that a relatively short period to be on it with regard to withdrawal? I understand that everyone is different.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Acute withdrawal is generally two weeks.
It can be tapered quickly if indicated, in my experience.
If the symptoms it is treating are not resolved, then this can initiate a return of symptoms, and be perceived as withdrawal.
In other cases, when the depression has resolved, I have seen no withdrawal at all.
A taper, under supervision, tailored to how the patient responds, is the standard of care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

'Do you think 3 months (and only 15mg) makes a difference, or is it a case that once you're on it for a no. of weeks the withdrawal symptoms are the same regardless of the time on it thereafter?'

Also, wondering what 'if indicated' means?

Thanks once again.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
If indicated means if your doctor things you should stop the medication.
How much time is enough is not predictable.
3 months is longer than average.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I mean being only 3 months on it, and at a relatively low dose???

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
That will make any withdrawal much less likely.
Still possible, but not as likely at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Last question. If you were agreeable to a patient coming off Remeron, and they were on 15mgs for three months, how would you suggest tapering off (assuming you'd suggest tapering off)?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I would probably simply stop it. If symptoms, then I would start back at half the dose, and monitor.
Your question was set up for a single, one sentence, simple answer.
For complex discussions, please find me in the medical category by request, and a correct complex question set up.
Please click a positive rating.
We are only paid per positive rating...not by how much we answer or how much time we spend.