Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My partner has refused to go to a clinic in Kent /our

My partner has refused to go to a clinic in Kent for his/our alcohol treatment, I was ready to go. Now he is asking me for more and more wine, what can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Just to be clear here--you both have a drinking problem and were both going to go to the clinic?

Was this to be for inpatient treatment?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, we both have na alcohol problem and it was for an inpatient treatment

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Well, we can continue after this for certain but if he refuses to go and you know you need the treatment then you need to go yourself. Perhaps in time he'll also decide to go but you need to take care of yourself and get the treatment now.

Let me know if you need to discuss this with me further, and I'll be happy to continue

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have stopped, but what can I do if he is asking for more wine all the time.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Is he asking for you to, say, go out and buy wine for him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, and shouting at everyone.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK but I'm a little unclear here. Has he stopped drinking to but won't go and get his own wine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No he hasn't stopped although we got medication from his GP. And he says he can't get on the plane in this state, but it's just getting worse. I don't know what to do.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, as I said before, you need to take care of yourself. It won't do any good for you to stay and try to talk him into getting on the plane--he obviously just isn't ready to quit the drinking. You can't let his behavior keep you from getting the help you need.